Wednesday, March 09, 2005

National Women's History Month

As you may or may not know, March is National Women's History month. I've been looking into the lives of women throughout history, and there are so many women who have done a lot to further the cause of making women equal. I'm not a "feminist" in the way that people see it now. Dictionary.com definies the women's liberation movement as "the movement aimed at equal rights for women". I believe in the right of women to vote. I believe in equal pay for equal work.

I've found a list of the 2005 National History Month Honorees here . Such famous women, as Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Emily Dickinson, and Amelia Earhart, and some you may or may not have heard of, are listed.

If you can read this.. Thank a woman. If you can vote... Thank a woman.

There are so many amazing women to look up to. For myself, two come automatically to mind. The first one is my grandmother, Maxine Gray.

She married young, and had 8 children, as well as raising her nephew. She raised her first son almost alone, as my grandfather was in the navy. She's one of the strongest women I know. She has two degrees, the first in elementary education, and a second in Home economics. She's intelligent, beautiful, loving, funny, wise, and I could go on. My grandmother taught me to read.. she taught me how to tie my shoes. She's the greatest woman I know.

And the second is my 4th grade teacher, Ms. McKay. She was the first teacher I had who saw me as a person, and not just a number, which amazes me. She taught 4th grade in a class of 35 +, in a busy Chicago public school. I remember that she signed my report card "When you publish your first novel, I want an autographed copy." I went to visit her often as long as I lived in Chicago. She nurtured my interest in computers; she encouraged my love of books (Except when I was reading while she was teaching). She is easily the favorite of every teacher I've ever had.

No comments: