Wednesday, March 09, 2005

As promised, here's some of my favorite books...

Right now, I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series, ( Official Dark Tower site ) and I'm waiting for my library to get in book 6, The Song of Susannah. So far, I've loved them. Stephen King is one of my favorite artists, and a true literary genius of modern times. I think the true proof of a good author, is that, while you're reading a story, you forget where you are, and feel like you're a part of the story, and Stephen King's books do this to me every time.

The books you read as a child that come back later. Books that you remember through the years. The next 3 books fall into that category, and I go back to read them about once a year, and they still manage to touch me in the same way they did when I first read them. The first is Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Number the Stars Page It's the story of a young Jewish girl during WWII, and the family that takes her in, to protect her from the Nazis.

Next up, we have Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell. It's the beautiful story of a young woman, who lives alone on an island for 18 years.

Finally, in this category, anyway, is The Giver, also by Lois Lowry.
The Giver Page This is the story of a boy growing up in a Utopian society, and is a book that really makes you think.

I've always loved the classics, as well.. Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott; the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder; Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte, and hundreds that I can't think of at this particular moment.

On to Christian fiction:

I love Lori Wick, and recommend all her books, but especially The English Garden Series.

Also, Dee Henderson's The O'Malley series.

I'm a self-proclaimed bookworm, and I'm willing to read about anything once. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. :)

No comments: